Active Shooter/Armed Intruder
Active Shooter Response Video:
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security recommends that you quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your own life. Students and visitors are likely to follow the lead of employees during an active shooter situation.
- If you can get out…DO IT NOW!!! Do not hesitate!
- Don’t wait for others.
- Have an escape route and plan in mind.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Keep your hands visible.
- Hide in an area out of the shooter’s view. If possible, avoid trapping yourself.
- Block entry to your hiding place and lock the doors.
- Turn off the lights and be quiet.
- If two or more…spread out and develop a plan.
- As a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger.
- Attack aggressively…DO NOT HESITATE!!!
- Attempt to incapacitate the active shooter. Throw things, yell, or use improvised weapons.
- DO NOT QUIT!!!
- Remain calm and follow instructions.
- Raise hands and spread fingers.
- Avoid quick movements, pointing and yelling.
- Remember that they do not know who the shooter is.
Call 911 when it is safe to do so.